• 2 ½ c. cake flour
• 3 tbsp. cocoa powder
• 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
• 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
• 1 ½ sticks of unsalted butter softened
• 1 c. sugar
• ½ c. shredded coconut
• 3 large eggs
• ½ c. buttermilk
• ½ c. unsweetened coconut milk
• 1 vanilla bean (or 1 tsp. vanilla extract)
• 2 tbsp. red food coloring
• 1 tbsp. white vinegar
• 1 tsp. baking soda
· 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese,
· ¼ cup butter, softened
· 1 tsp vanilla extract
· 4 c. confectioner’s sugar
· 1 tsp. water (optional, for smoother consistency)
· Topping: 1½ c. sweetened shredded coconut flakes
1. Preheat the oven to 350°F and position the rack in the middle.
2. Sift the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder. Add salt and gently mix.
3. In a mixer, beat butter, sugar and shredded coconut until ingredients are well combined. Add one egg at a time, beating after each addition.
4. Next, add buttermilk, coconut milk, vanilla bean (or extract), and red food coloring.
5. With the mixer on low, gradually add the dry ingredients.
6. Combine the vinegar with baking soda and add to the mixture. Mix until combined.
7. Spray two 8-inch round cake pans with cooking spray and divide batter evenly into both pans.
for 25-30 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean .
cake to cool completely before removing cakes from pans. Carefully slice
off the top of the cakes for a smooth and flat surface.
Carefully slice off the top of the cakes for a smooth and flat surface.
10. Prepare cream cheese frosting by mixing cream cheese, butter, vanilla extract, and confectioners’ sugar together in an electric mixer. If the consistency is not spreadable add about 1 tsp. of water.
11. Frost one top cake layer with frosting. Stack the other cake on top of the frost. Frost the rest of the top and the sides of the cake.
12. Sprinkle shredded coconut flakes over the top and sides of the cake making sure the coconut adheres to the frosting.