Cupcakes: (courtesy of Food.com)
Candied Lemon Zest:
1. Beat together the butter, cream cheese, lemon zest and sugar. Then beat in eggs until smooth.
2. Gradually add the flour, baking powder and salt to the cheese mixture and beat with your mixer on low speed until just combined.
3. Divide the batter evenly between 12 cupcake cups that have been lined with paper cupcake liners.
4. Bake at 325F about 25 minutes until firm to the touch.
5. While cupcakes are
baking, make frosting by beating the frosting ingredients together until
smooth. (If you like a lot of frosting on your cupcakes, double the
6. Prepare the candied lemon zest: With a vegetable peeler, remove long strips of zest (without pith) from lemons.
7. Cut into julienne strips.
8. Place in a small saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to a simmer over medium heat. Cook for 7 minutes and drain.
9. Return the strips to the pan and add 1/2 cup sugar and 1/2 cup water. Return to a simmer.
10. Cook over low heat until the zest is translucent and the syrup is slightly thickened, 10 to 15 minutes.
11. Transfer the zest to wax paper with a slotted spoon and let cool.
When cupcakes are done baking, let cool 10 minutes in pan then remove
from tin. Frost the cupcakes and add candied lemon zest as garnish.